The sun’s radiation is an endless supply of energy. Scientists have already devised a method to capture the sun’s power and convert it into usable, enormous, and clean energy. It’s to install a rooftop solar system. Given its availability, renewability, and advantages, it is the most fantastic alternative to fossil fuels and plays a critical part in the future of the global energy industry. Let’s learn more about solar energy in this article.
Rooftop solar power: Concept, structure and working principle
Contrary to popular belief, capturing the sun’s energy does not need massive solar farms. Humans can, in fact, use rooftop solar panels to collect the sun’s energy and convert it to electricity. So, what exactly is a rooftop solar panel system? How do they function?
What is a rooftop solar system? Why is this energy more and more popular?
A rooftop solar photovoltaic system is another name for this configuration. Rooftop solar refers to solar panels placed on the roofs of commercial, industrial, or apartment blocks. Solar cells transform the sun’s light energy into electrical energy by capturing it. It generates a kind of energy that is clean, ecologically beneficial, safe, and endless.
The worldwide solar market is helping to make the global and the environment healthier and safer. To perform successfully, the installation of solar panels on the roof only needs to have enough space and receive as much sun as possible. We do not need to be concerned if the sun does not shine since the battery stored on the panels will save us.
What are the components of a rooftop solar system? The basic structure
Solar system installation will save most of the space. The system structure still includes the following essential components:
- The Photovoltaics effect: In fact, it is not a component but a technology that generates the energy source in a solar power system. Although photovoltaic technology has been around for more than a century, it has only been in the last few decades that it has become more efficient and cost-effective.
- Solar Panels: This is the most important and most visible part of the solar system. There are two types of photovoltaic (PV) panels: monocrystalline solar panels and polycrystalline solar panels. Solar cell construction is mainly from solar cells, frames, and glass. Solar panels function by absorbing and harnessing solar photovoltaic energy and sending it to a converter as Direct Current (DC) electricity (or possibly a regulator charge control in some cases). Although currently on the market, there are many types of solar panels from many different manufacturers. But they are pretty similar in functionality.
- Solar Inverters: Also known as a PV converter or inverter, it converts direct current (DC) generated by rooftop solar panels into usable alternating current (AC). Inverters come in various sizes and employ many technologies to ensure that the AC power generating function is as efficient as possible. Mechanical and technical characteristics will vary by kind.
- The mounting hardware: Depending on the topography, the installation will require different mounting components. Clamps and brackets are used the most, helping to fix the structure and ensure the safety and efficiency of the rooftop solar system.
- Stored battery: The battery allows the system to store electrical energy for use if the system cannot produce electricity at night or when the weather is not sunny. The battery will also have many options, depending on the purpose and needs of users.
Working principle of rooftop solar – The principle of generating solar power
When photons–sunlight energy–hit a roof top solar panel, the solar panel transforms the photons to direct current (DC) electrical electrons. Power safety devices can receive direct current electricity. Inverters are included with rooftop solar panels, which convert direct current power into alternating current (AC). We can use this current for commercial purposes or many appliances and home appliances such as computers, televisions, and even washing machines.
The working principle of rooftop solar panels relies on the solar cells’ capacity to capture the sun’s energy and convert it to electricity. It’s a tiny square-shaped semiconductor built up of conductive materials like silicon. When sunlight reaches the solar cells, chemical processes occur, releasing electrons and generating electric current. Photovoltaic cells, which are also present in small products like calculators, make up the majority of rooftop solar panel cells.
The layers of semiconductor materials composed of doped silicon crystals are the most significant photovoltaic cell components. The bottom layer of the photovoltaic cell is filled with boron bound to silicon to generate a Positive charge. The top layer is doped with phosphorus to generate a Negative charge. The separating surface between the two layers is called the PN junction, and the movement of this surface produces an electric field.
Above is the basic information about rooftop solar energy systems. Once you understand your system, you can determine the best solution for your organization or home. Solar energy is an excellent solution in that renewable energy sources are gradually dwindling, and demand is increasing. It is both cost-effective in the long run while ensuring safety, efficiency, and sustainability.