Turbine insulation is necessary to ensure turbines in industrial systems always operate perfectly and safely. However, each system will have different structure characteristics, installation procedure, operation ,… which requires other insulation techniques. To understand which insulation solution is right for your system, let’s look at the concepts and benefits of turbine insulation at a glance.

Turbine Insulation vivablast 1

What is turbine insulation and why is it important for your system?

Before learning what turbine insulation is, you need to understand the meaning. Insulation is a technical term used in mechanical engineering, refrigeration, or construction to keep heat from being lost. The temperature here can be hot or use a cold purpose.

Meanwhile, the turbine is a sizable heat-generating tool in industries. Therefore, a turbine insulation solution to ensure user safety as well as avoid heat loss is not a need but has become a mandatory requirement. Moreover, it also helps to maximize the operation and energy efficiency of the system turbine.

The requirements for temperature enclosure will vary from case to case and depend on the user’s purposes. Each system will also tend to use different types of security to ensure relevance and efficiency. Besides avoiding heat loss, there are a lot of benefits that turbine protection brings to the modern industry.

Read more: Wind Turbine Blade Repair

Turbine insulation and the 5 types of materials used

Before deciding which type of insulation is suitable for you, there are many things you need to consider, such as price, soundproofing properties, and environmental impact. There are 5 most commonly used turbine insulation materials and what they can do for you.

Turbine Insulation vivablast 3

1. Effective solution for turbine insulation – Mineral wool 

Mineral wool is included as one of a few types of materials of turbine insulation. It may refer to glass wool which is fiberglass produced from recycled glass, or rock wool, which is a type of insulation made from basalt. Mineral wool can be purchased as batts or as a bulk material. Most mineral wool has no additives to make it fireproof, making it less useful in extreme temperature conditions. 

2. The most popular material for turbine insulation – Fibreglass

Fiberglass is a prevalent insulation material. One of its main advantages is cost. Fiberglass insulation has a lower installation cost than many other types of insulation, and it is often the most cost-effective choice compared to different insulation types, such as spray foam insulation systems. Because it is made by effectively weaving fine glass fibers into insulation, fiberglass can minimize heat transfer. It is essential to wear the necessary safety equipment when installing fiberglass, as glass powder and small glass fragments can harm the eyes, lungs, and skin. 

3. Excellent fire resistance in turbine insulation – Polyurethane Foam

Although not a common thermal insulator in turbine insulation, polyurethane foam is an excellent thermal insulator. Today, polyurethane foam uses a chlorofluorocarbon-free gas, minimizing damage to the ozone layer. In addition, there are low-density sponges that can be sprayed into areas without insulation. Another temperature difference in this material is its resistance to fire.

4. The most environmentally – friendly form of turbine insulation – Cellulose

Cellulose is a very environmentally-friendly form of insulation. It is composed of 75-85% recycled paper fibers, usually post-consumer waste newsprint. The remaining 15% is flame retardant such as boric acid or ammonium sulfate. Due to the material’s dense nature, cellulose does not contain oxygen within it. There is no oxygen inside the material, which helps to minimize the damage that a fire can cause. So, cellulose is not only perhaps one of the most environmentally-friendly forms of insulation, but it is also one of the most fire-resistant forms of insulation.

5. An excellent sound and heat turbine insulation – Polystyrene

Polystyrene is a waterproof thermoplastic foam that is an excellent sound and heat insulator. Polystyrene insulation has a unique smooth surface unmatched by other insulation materials, and it is used in residential and commercial areas. Polystyrene insulation is very stiff. Usually, the foam is made or cut into blocks, which are ideal for turbine insulation.

Turbine Insulation vivablast 4

Read more about INSULATION CONTRACTORS โ€“ THE OPTIMAL SOLUTION FOR MODERN INDUSTRY

Turbine insulation services require the most skilled technicians and similar alternative materials. If you are looking for a supplier to install turbine insulation, you can consult VIVABLAST. VIVABLAST can guarantee excellent insulation results using sustainable and eco-friendly resources by focusing on quality, safety, and time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.